The coronation of Sen. Barack Obama as the officially official Democratic nominee for president begins today in Denver, as the Democratic National Convention kicks off with lots of speechifying. Among the schedule highlights today are Michelle Obama, his half sister Maya Soetoro-Ng, a whole bunch of Illinois politicians and some regular folks with heartwarming and politically advantageous personal stories. Plus a video tribute to the ailing Ted Kennedy.
Here are some links to help you get ready for the big events tonight and throughout the coming week:
• Tom Hayden, 1960s radical and former California legislator, discusses his "Dreams of Obama" in an essay written for the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies and published in CityBeat.
• How Obama can win over the working class: "Obama Should Study the Acceptance Speech of George H. W. Bush" (Boston Phoenix)
• Protesting at the convention: "Demo Nights" (Santa Fe Reporter)
• Protesting at the convention: "Violence at the DNC Could Blow It for Obama" (Boulder Weekly)
• Tom Tomorrow's convention blog.
• Denver's altweekly paper, Westword, offers its Unconventional Guide to Denver.
— John Fox